Skip to main content

Pros and Cons of NYC Roommates

I have been living in NYC for the last six and a half years.  I have lived in a few different places and with a number of different people.  Depending upon my desperation to find a place and my financial situation at that given time I have had both very awesome living arrangements and some.....more interesting living scenarios as well.  I figured that this is as good of a topic for a post as any......

The Pros and Cons of NYC roommates:

Pros:

1. Expenses.  For the amount I spent per month on my studio apartment on the UES I could have owned a 3 bedroom, two bath with an in ground pool in Indianapolis.  With roommates I can afford a place in a lovely neighborhood, that's safe, and I don't have to donate blood twice a month to do so.

2. It's sort of nice to have people around.  Living alone can be quite lonesome.  Not that I want a roommate who wants to have long, in depth discussions about life and loss, but a quick chat about our upcoming fantasy football drafts is cool.

3. Premium Cable.  Split three ways I can justify having HBO and Showtime.  Which means I never have to miss Ray Donovan OR Game of Thrones.  This should be #1 on the list.

4. Someone to help you move.

5. Safety in numbers.  I would not want to break into my apartment when all three of us are there. I do not live with small dudes.

6. Someone to let me into the apartment when I forget my key.


Cons:

1. Not being able to walk around the apartment naked.  I mean, that's worth at least an extra $50 a month.

2. Do your dishes!!!!! I can't stand coming home to a sink full of dishes when all I want to do is cook a small meal.

3. Take out the trash!!!!

4. Get out of the fucking shower!!!  How long do you need in there?  Christ.

5. What the hell was he just cooking that smells THIS bad?

6. Splitting utilities.  I never feel like I use as much electricity as anyone else.  Ever.  I could have a tanning bed in my room and I would still think my roommates are running their own personal AC units 24/7.

7. Bro, you have got to turn the volume down when you are watching your.....more mature content on your computer.

8. Who ate my salt & vinegar chips?  Which one of you was it?!?!?!?

9.  Jesus, we have to watch the Yankees again?  (Not that I mind baseball, but listening to Michael Kay is a new form of torture.)

10. Your girlfriend is going to have to start paying rent soon.  Cause you know, she is here 5 nights a week and she is terrible.  I mean, TERRIBLE.  Where did you find her?  Is there a new dating app HOR-ABLE-PERSON?

11. Thanks for getting that work-from-home job.  I mean, it isn't like that means you are using electricity all day.

12. Please leave the apartment.  At some point.  Please.

13. Your alcoholic, idiot friends used to be welcomed here....until one of them peed on the couch.

14. Is your friend from Denver going to leave?  Or is he going to start paying rent with your girlfriend?

15. Why did we just get an eviction notice?

16. No, we are not getting a cat.

17. Ok, maybe we should get a cat, but only keep him until he catches the mouse that you named Ricky.

18.  What did you do with the cat?

19.  Where's your rent check?

20.  You lost how much gambling?

21. Is that a loan shark at the door?


Living in NYC has been great to me.  Wouldn't change it for anything.  All of my roommates have been characters that I have enjoyed (mostly).


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Dry January Sucks -

Each year for the last ten or so I attempt to do some form of holiday excess cleanse.  This isn't unique.  I have read a lot about different experiences people have had with not drinking for 31 days to start the year and they are all the same and very different than mine.  So here goes - This is my experience with not drinking for the month of January.  Ok, so maybe not the entire month... 1.  I woke up the morning of January 1st 2021 and....made myself a mimosa.  So right off the bat, dry January fail.  Whatever, we had leftover champagne and not so fresh OJ in the fridge.  This was me dedicating myself to being less wasteful in the new year.   2. As soon as I had that first drink, what the hell, football was on, may as well head to the corner store for a six pack and a pack of smokes and really get after it.  Please note, I do not smoke, it is just an expression.  3. I head to the corner store to buy some Powerball tickets and another six pack.  I walk back in 20 minutes later wi

Oprah, Arby's, Do Not Disturb

Life has been relatively amazing the last few months.  I decided to take some time off to travel, visit with friends & family, and to write/work on some creative projects/focus on the next career move.  A few thoughts: 1. When I am driving down the highway and I haven't seen an Arby's for a hundred miles.  I will say to myself, "Where the fuck is the Arby's?"  That said, I visited an Arby's that was OUT OF ROAST BEEF.  It was the low point of the last 4 months.  2. The movie "The Big Short" is listed under the "Comedy" section on Netflix.   Can we all agree that is a sick joke of some sort?  Yes, the movie has a few zingers in it, but a movie about millions of people going broke and losing their homes is not what I would consider "funny".   3. I'm not saying I want Oprah to run for president, but I certainly wouldn't bet against her.  Her ability to connect is what Hillary lacked.   Oprah is great an

We Have All Lost Our Minds

I was having a conversation last night where the words, "Each day is worse than the last" were spoken.  I'm not sure that I'm there quite yet, but whoa.... we are at an 11 and need to get down to maybe a 4.  I am friends with people from a whole lot of walks of life.  Some incredibly liberal and others incredibly conservative.  There is one underlying theme that I can see in both sides.  They absolutely, 100%, without question, think the other side is wrong and they are right.  It is tough to watch what is happening to this country.  Nevermind the fact that we are living in this turmoil daily. I would ask my conservative friends - was life so bad under Obama?  Do you genuinely feel that he was trying to hurt you and your family?  I really don't.  You may disagree with his policies, but the entire idea of wanting to end two wars, keeping the economy upright, not wanting our planet to melt, and getting people healthcare isn't exactly a reason to hate the guy.