Skip to main content

ABC News: I Want Real News

I sometimes wonder who is in charge of sending push notifications for ABC News.  This morning the push notification that I received (the notification that I expect to be so important as to pop up on my phone and grabbing my very valuable attention) read the following:

Watch Live: Sean "Diddy" Combs delivers commencement speech at Howard University 

The fuck do I care about that?  Are you joking?  The only people who care about "Diddy" (and really? Diddy?  The man has had more names than Jackie O) giving that speech are 

a) people who went to Howard 
b) fans of late 90's rap

End of list. 

Does ABC News really think that there are so many people out there that will tune into "Diddy"giving life advice?  Does ABC News think it is prudent to send a notification that pertains to only 0.004% of the population?  

Due to ABC News being so desperate in their need to send me push notifications I have decided to write a list of events and situations that are appropriate to send to my phone:

1. World is about to end.  This, however, does not include any sort of rapture bullshit or prophetic garbage.  I'm talking "Astroid bearing down on earth.  We are going the way of the dinosaur unless Bruce Willis and his team of rejects can go all Armageddon on this thing"  Actually, that would be a great push notification.  

2. WWIII is breaking out because 
a)The Chinese want their money back
b)Russia feels a need to get beat in another war 
c)North Korea sent a toy missile into South Korea because Kim Jun Un got a bad haircut
d)The US elects some bloodthirsty lunatic who decides to get us into any sort of international incident (up to an including invading Brazil for a Team USA loss in the World Cup this year, retroactively of course)

3. The Red Sox win the World Series
4. The Yankees lose the World Series

5. No really, major sporting events are cool to send a push notification; though most people know already.  I mean, if you are sending me a notification that a team won the Super Bowl I either already know or really don't care (ie, I probably live in Brooklyn and don't own a TV)

6. Plague is sweeping the midwest.  But a real plague.  Not just a strain of the flu.

7. A large hurricane is going to hit the east coast.  But a real hurricane, not a tropical storm 70 miles off the coast. 

8. Earthquake in LA. 6.5 and above. 

9. The last Beatle has died (that's going to be a huge deal)

10. Some big time celebrity and/or politician is assassinated.  Has to be Louie C.K big or above. 

11. Game of Thrones is on tonight

12.  It's Sunday

13. Tom Brady retires (though I hope to see push notification #1 before this)

14. We found a cure for AIDS or cancer  (though let's be honest that will most likely result in a Zombie appocolypse.  We have all seen I Am Legend)  Also, Trojan condoms stock would take a huge hit on that news. 

15. There is a Zombie Apocolypse. Run!!!!  If so I truly hope I don't end up with some group like the one on The Walking Dead.  That Rick guy is a real dick.  

16. Andrew Goodnow's new book skyrockets to #1 on NYTimes Bestseller List.  Author declines interviews and is thought to have bought a small island and is living comfortably with his new pet monkey, "Ralph".  (OK, that will never happen.....monkeys scare me and if I had the money I would bribe someone in the Chinese government to get a panda)

17. Woody Allen releases final film (I thought of this because I watched Manhattan last night)

18. Anytime a plane crashes.  Those are the worst. You always think, "Do I know anyone traveling in China right now?"

19. Nuclear power plant fail.  Those are buzz kills.

20. The Simpsons announces final season (my guess 2024)


Here is the list of push notifications I do not want to see......EVER

1. Lindsay Lohan anything.  Just stop with this chick.  She is a disaster.  Do you know who else is a disaster?  A lot of 20 somethings with too much money. If we idolized all of them Brian Williams would be the new TMZ.

2. Same for any of these stars.  If I see another Justin guy from Canada anything I am off the internet for good.  (Lies... all lies)

3. Jose Canseco anything

4. A big bank is fined (I don't care because I'll never see a dime of that money)  Where does that money go?  I'm curious, does anyone outside of the government get compensated?  Or does it go into a black hole so that we can bail these banks out again at some point?  

5. Winner of sexiest person alive award.  Doesn't really matter.....and it shouldn't....to anyone.

6. The President is giving a speech.  Nope, don't care.....not unless it has to do with a war or end of the world.  



I hope ABC News takes this valuable feedback and incorporates it into its social media / push notification strategy.  I want to respect ABC as a valuable news source, but with the crap on its online site and the pushes I see, it is tough to regard what they do as "news" in a sense that it is informing me of issues that effect my life.  I want news via their social media. Not gossip.  Not TMZ.  Information. I think there is a disconnect.  Because information is sent out on a social medium doesn't mean it must be watered down.  There are still plenty of people who want to know what is happening in the world outside of the details of other people's lives.  I miss the days when all of this garbage was limited to the grocery store check-out line.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Dry January Sucks -

Each year for the last ten or so I attempt to do some form of holiday excess cleanse.  This isn't unique.  I have read a lot about different experiences people have had with not drinking for 31 days to start the year and they are all the same and very different than mine.  So here goes - This is my experience with not drinking for the month of January.  Ok, so maybe not the entire month... 1.  I woke up the morning of January 1st 2021 and....made myself a mimosa.  So right off the bat, dry January fail.  Whatever, we had leftover champagne and not so fresh OJ in the fridge.  This was me dedicating myself to being less wasteful in the new year.   2. As soon as I had that first drink, what the hell, football was on, may as well head to the corner store for a six pack and a pack of smokes and really get after it.  Please note, I do not smoke, it is just an expression.  3. I head to the corner store to buy some Powerball tickets and another six pack.  I walk back in 20 minutes later wi

Oprah, Arby's, Do Not Disturb

Life has been relatively amazing the last few months.  I decided to take some time off to travel, visit with friends & family, and to write/work on some creative projects/focus on the next career move.  A few thoughts: 1. When I am driving down the highway and I haven't seen an Arby's for a hundred miles.  I will say to myself, "Where the fuck is the Arby's?"  That said, I visited an Arby's that was OUT OF ROAST BEEF.  It was the low point of the last 4 months.  2. The movie "The Big Short" is listed under the "Comedy" section on Netflix.   Can we all agree that is a sick joke of some sort?  Yes, the movie has a few zingers in it, but a movie about millions of people going broke and losing their homes is not what I would consider "funny".   3. I'm not saying I want Oprah to run for president, but I certainly wouldn't bet against her.  Her ability to connect is what Hillary lacked.   Oprah is great an

We Have All Lost Our Minds

I was having a conversation last night where the words, "Each day is worse than the last" were spoken.  I'm not sure that I'm there quite yet, but whoa.... we are at an 11 and need to get down to maybe a 4.  I am friends with people from a whole lot of walks of life.  Some incredibly liberal and others incredibly conservative.  There is one underlying theme that I can see in both sides.  They absolutely, 100%, without question, think the other side is wrong and they are right.  It is tough to watch what is happening to this country.  Nevermind the fact that we are living in this turmoil daily. I would ask my conservative friends - was life so bad under Obama?  Do you genuinely feel that he was trying to hurt you and your family?  I really don't.  You may disagree with his policies, but the entire idea of wanting to end two wars, keeping the economy upright, not wanting our planet to melt, and getting people healthcare isn't exactly a reason to hate the guy.