Skip to main content

Hiking Adventures and Imaginary Bears

I went hiking today.  Love hiking.  Cleansing.  Peaceful.  Gets me in touch with nature.  I still get cell service.  It's great.  I'm a real outdoors kind of guy.  I even have an LL Bean backpack.

So I'm blazing a trail through the well groomed trails of Austin's Green Belt and a few interesting things happened today.  Let's review -

1. It is a Sunday.  Typically I would be somewhere watching football, but today I opted out for the following reasons:
a) The product just isn't that great
b) I've lost a significant amount of interest in football in the past two years
c) You don't get to a BMI of 28.6 by not being active on a daily basis.
d) My fantasy football team decided that they were going to take a knee....during their games.

2. I walked past a guy who wasn't just wearing cologne.  He had bathed in it.  I could smell him for a solid 30 yards down the trial.  Who is he trying to impress?  The coyotes?

3.  There are coyotes where I hike.  Apparently the way to scare them away is to "make yourself big" and talk loud.  With my hands held above my head I'm going to start doing the Truffle Shuffle.  "Mr. Coyote!  Back Away!!!!  Please.  NO.  Stop showing your teeth to me and BACK UP NOW!!!" 

4. I'm glad I have yet to encounter a coyote.

5. I move to the side of the trail when people with mountain bikes zoom past.  For my safety, for their safety, for the common good of the trail.  Some say thank you.  Others zip past like they don't care.  I have two categories for judging mountain bikers.  Those who say thank you when they go by and those who suck.  Don't be a suck mountain biker. 

6. People rock climb along the hiking route.  Ropes and all.  People yelling about "don't let me fall" and "I don't want to die".   Sounds like a great time.

7. Lots of make shift hammocks out there.  People hang these things from a couple of trees and lounge in them for hours.  There is usually this odd smell of skunk when you pass them.  Which is odd, because there aren't many skunks around here. 

8. Police patrol the trails on these mini ATV's.  I have two thoughts on this.  I like it because I have watched the movie "The Woods" and I don't need to be taken to a cabin and have bad things happen to me.  Also, that must be a cool job.  Those guys and gals are usually look happy.  And why not? They wear shorts to work and drive ATV's. 

9. There is a rope swing that leads to a "pond" that is maybe 3 feet deep (after a heavy rain).  I'm sure people use the swing when the skunks come out. 

10. I took a new path and ended up finding a small wooden bench in the middle of the woods.  And I thought, "What a cozy little bench.  Clearly handmade.  I'll take a seat and enjoy the serenity."  I sat down, looked around, looked up - And....what.  the.  fuck...  There was a green human body shaped thing hanging from a tree.  It was fucked up to say the least.  The whole "Let's hang something that looks like a body from a tree" thing is a bad idea 100 times out of 100.  Needless to say, I got up off of the bench that sucked me in and got back to the main trail.  Again, I've seen horror movies, that how the begin......or end.

11.  Every time I hear rustling from the woods - I know the odds are 99.98% that it is harmless.  Regardless, I jump like a bear is coming after me.  Every.  Single. Time. 

12. I hear rustling 6-8 times per hike. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Dry January Sucks -

Each year for the last ten or so I attempt to do some form of holiday excess cleanse.  This isn't unique.  I have read a lot about different experiences people have had with not drinking for 31 days to start the year and they are all the same and very different than mine.  So here goes - This is my experience with not drinking for the month of January.  Ok, so maybe not the entire month... 1.  I woke up the morning of January 1st 2021 and....made myself a mimosa.  So right off the bat, dry January fail.  Whatever, we had leftover champagne and not so fresh OJ in the fridge.  This was me dedicating myself to being less wasteful in the new year.   2. As soon as I had that first drink, what the hell, football was on, may as well head to the corner store for a six pack and a pack of smokes and really get after it.  Please note, I do not smoke, it is just an expression.  3. I head to the corner store to buy some Powerball tickets and another six pack.  I walk back in 20 minutes later wi

Oprah, Arby's, Do Not Disturb

Life has been relatively amazing the last few months.  I decided to take some time off to travel, visit with friends & family, and to write/work on some creative projects/focus on the next career move.  A few thoughts: 1. When I am driving down the highway and I haven't seen an Arby's for a hundred miles.  I will say to myself, "Where the fuck is the Arby's?"  That said, I visited an Arby's that was OUT OF ROAST BEEF.  It was the low point of the last 4 months.  2. The movie "The Big Short" is listed under the "Comedy" section on Netflix.   Can we all agree that is a sick joke of some sort?  Yes, the movie has a few zingers in it, but a movie about millions of people going broke and losing their homes is not what I would consider "funny".   3. I'm not saying I want Oprah to run for president, but I certainly wouldn't bet against her.  Her ability to connect is what Hillary lacked.   Oprah is great an

We Have All Lost Our Minds

I was having a conversation last night where the words, "Each day is worse than the last" were spoken.  I'm not sure that I'm there quite yet, but whoa.... we are at an 11 and need to get down to maybe a 4.  I am friends with people from a whole lot of walks of life.  Some incredibly liberal and others incredibly conservative.  There is one underlying theme that I can see in both sides.  They absolutely, 100%, without question, think the other side is wrong and they are right.  It is tough to watch what is happening to this country.  Nevermind the fact that we are living in this turmoil daily. I would ask my conservative friends - was life so bad under Obama?  Do you genuinely feel that he was trying to hurt you and your family?  I really don't.  You may disagree with his policies, but the entire idea of wanting to end two wars, keeping the economy upright, not wanting our planet to melt, and getting people healthcare isn't exactly a reason to hate the guy.